Bess O’Brien is currently directing All of Me, a new film on eating disorders. The film is slated to be released in Fall 2016.
Bess O’Brien is the director/producer of the documentary films The Hungry Heart, about prescription drug crisis in Vermont and the compassionate work of Dr. Fred Holmes. The film won the American Society of Addiction Medicine Award for outstanding media and was honored by Vermont Governor, Peter Shumlin as the film that served as a catalyst for opiate addiction awareness in the state of Vermont.
Other award-winning documentary films by O’Brien include: Ask Us Who We Are, a powerful documentary about foster care in Vermont, Journey into Courage about women in the Northern part of Vermont who survived domestic violence and sexual abuse, Where is Stephanie? about the murder of a young girl in Rutland, VT, and Here Today about Vermont families struggling with heroin in their lives. Bess O’Brien co-founded Kingdom County Productions with her husband Jay Craven in 1990. She is also the director/producer of the highly acclaimed feature film Shout it Out based on the lives of Vermont teens and the original Voices Project live musical.
Awards and Accolades for Bess O’Brien’s Work
- Hungry Heart nominated for the 2016 PRISM award by the Entertainment Industry Council in Los Angeles.
- Hungry Heart winner of the 2016 National Institute on Drug Abuse Media Award.
- Hungry Heart winner of the 2015 Media Award from the American Society of Addiction Medicine.
- 2014 Walter Cerf Award for Excellence in the Arts
- 2012 Labor of Love Award from Vermont Works for Women.
- 2011 Voices For Vermont’s Children Youth Advocacy Award in recognition for O’Brien’s dedicated, creative and artistic advocacy on behalf of VT children.
- 2010 National Education Association (NEA) Human and Civil Rights Award for Shout it Out for empowering youth voice.
- U.S. Department of Justice Special Recognition for documentary film, Journey into Courage.
- Jack Barry Communication Award for Here Today, state-wide recognition for Excellence in prevention awareness
- Vermont Agency of Human Service 2005 Award in recognition of The Voices Project for excellence in improving the lives of Vermonters.
- Member of the Vermont Academy of Arts and Sciences
- The recipient of the prestigious Producers Guild Of America Award in Los Angeles with her husband Jay Craven.
Quotes and Press
Every state in the Union should be so lucky to have Bess O’Brien working for them in support of children and families!
Bess O’Brien’s film The Hungry Heart is a brilliant and beautiful film that captures the true lives of people in recovery—it should be seen by everyone!
O’Brien’s film The Hungry Heart displays the unflinching honesty necessary for addiction recovery.
Bess O’Brien and Kingdom County Production’s work is exemplarity in the state of Vermont and has raised issues that are critical to children and families.
O’Brien’s latest film Ask Us Who We Are is superb, one of the best films I have ever seen!
Filmmaker Bess O’Brien’s Ask Us Who We Are is an inspiring tribute to the human spirit!
In nearly two decades of making documentaries that shine light into the shadowed areas of Vermont life, O’Brien has acquired a knack for getting people to talk about uncomfortable subjects. Her latest Ask Us Who We Are is a work of art, beautifully crafted.